I feel my best mentally and emotionally when I take care of myself physically. There are certain habits I maintain simply because I feel better when I do them. After all, this precious human body has been my responsibility for some time now, I would argue, since long before I left my family to set out on my own. What’s more, I have realized that taking care of myself is not only good for me, it is good for others as well. When I have a foggy head because I skipped lunch, I not only frustrate myself, I’m also more prone to snapping at my family and I disappoint my clients by not doing my best work. Below is my list of must-haves in a daily self-care routine. Of course I can’t always achieve 100% success, but at least I always know where to start when I want to feel better.
I feel my best when I …
- Sleep no more than seven and a half hours
- Rise at 6:00 am, go to bed by 10:30 pm
- Maintain a daily meditation practice
- Drink water all day, a glass every hour or two
- Socialize outside my home and office for a few minutes
- Eat three healthy meals, including breakfast before 9:00 am
- Consume fresh raw vegetables or homemade juice
- Use alcohol, caffeine and sugar in moderation
- Walk for at least 20 minutes
- Wash my face and brush my teeth morning and evening
This may seem basic, but how many of us were taught the principles behind these simple techniques? Maintaining healthy routines, whatever they are, is the single best way to love yourself and take responsibility for your thinking and your life.
What’s your must-have list for feeling and thinking your best?